Friday, February 18, 2011

Got the Certificate!

Last night the Sacred Heart Seminary here in Milwaukee hosted a banquet In honour of the Institute of Diocesan Vocations Personnel. At the end there were various warm speeches including a heartfelt encouragement to us all from Rosemary Sullivan, the Executive Director of the National Conference of Diocesan Vocations Directors, the American equivalent of our Conference of Diocesan Directors of Vocations. Everyone who completed the week also received a special certificate to certify that they are now fully trained Vocations Directors. So, after five years in the job, I can now regard myself as fully qualified! I must say that I have been very well treated all week. All the other participants are either recently appointed or just about to be appointed as vocation directors. When presenting me to people Rosemary always made the point of saying that I wasn't a new vocations director and that I had come as Chairman of the CDDV. She invited me to answer questions on a panel and also to preside and preach at one of the Masses. They may seem small things but are, I think, indicative of the exquisite courtesy we encounter on the other side of the "pond".
The Institute itself was extremely well organised and structured. We began with a Day of Recollection and, on the subsequent days, were taken through the work of a Vocations Director from how to organise the office on day one to a presentation on formation by a seminary rector on the last day. It was all very useful. I'll post more about the content later.

1 comment:

Shandon Belle said...

Please add our blog to your blogroll.

Folloing the great graces that flowed from the Year for Priests, we are proposing the observation of a Holy Year for Nuns. Please feel free to adopt the suggestion and to promote it:

http://catholicheritage.blogspot.com/2011/02/proclaim-holy-year-for-nuns.html

God bless you!