Monday, August 11, 2008

Finally Resurfacing


It's taken me some time to get back to posting after returning from Sydney. The journey was preety miserable: I had to fly to Sydney and transfer to the international airport then wait for the first leg to Dubai. In total the journey home took well over thirty hours. Jetlag kicked in two days later but since I'm a light sleeper anyway I soon got over it.

While I was away the housekeeper and the secretary were on holiday and so I got back to a tip which took a while to put straight. Having cleared a space on the desk I was then able to settle down to the mail mountain. I've now cleared the urgent and have started on the emails so I thought it was time to do a little post for this Blog.

This morning I was given a 1995 edition of the "Handbook on the Social Behaviour of Seminarians". It's a real gem! A lot of the advice is, as a visiting Philippino priest commented, common sense but - as is said elsewhere on the Blogosphere - common sense can be remarkably uncommon. So, from time to time, I'll share with you some amusing - but quite sensible - advice to seminarians. The author dives in with some observations on 'Personal Cleanliness':



"The foundation of good personal appearance is cleanliness. Personal grooming and cleanliness should always be seen in the context of our present economic and cultural situations. This means that simple grooming is needed as much as possible, but not at the cost of cleanliness and neatness.

The hair can be both an asset and a liability. An asset if it is properly controlled and if it contributes to neatness. A liability if it becomes unruly or shabby. A well-groomed person is always attractive to behold. As a general guideline, one should get a haircut whenever one's hair no longer looks good, not when it is intolerably bushy, but whenever it loses its neat appearance.
The style of haircut also influences one's appearance. Regular haircut for a seminarian should be such that his hair is not so big and bishy as to cover the ears at the sides or the collar of the shirt at the back. In any case, one's style of haircut should be suited to the person's head".


Priceless! I don't know about seminarians but I'm going to give it to our altar servers whose style of haircut is certainly not always suited to the heads!

No comments: