Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The attack of the killer spiders...


These last few days I've been staying with his brother and his family here in Australia. They decided that, like the Holy Father, I needed some complete rest after World Youth Day so they took me up to a wonderful villa overlooking the sea just outside the Town of 1770 - where Lieutenant (!) Cook landed. The villa was set in scrubland and had its own private beach. The idea of running through scrub with all sorts of venemous Ozzie creatures wasn't particularly appealing - particularly when the boys came back with tales of an "enormous spider". Nevertheless, my nephew kept reassuring me that - despite the "Beware of stingers & stone-fish" signs, there was nothing to worry about. Although it was great to walk along the sand and watch the waves, the prospect of sitting through yet another episode with my young Dr Who-obsessed nephews suddenly became quite appealing!
I was rather amused therefore as we left for home yesterday to find him screaming in the back of the car. A huntsman spider had decided to hitch a ride with us and perch itself next to him. After I had dispatched it with the aid of a long handled umbrella, he decided I needed to be reassured again: "It really is quite harmless Uncle Stephen. You didn't have to kill it. If it bites it hurts like crazy, but the worst it could do is make you vomit". Nice! I was glad not to meet any Timelords and killer wasps when we got home!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

I have never heard of a huntsman biting anyone; that's why we don't kill them but gently put them outside. Unless you are my daughter who was caught in the shower with one and her brother had to remove it with his eyes closed!! Daughter was too paralised with fright to move!! lol

Fr Stephen said...

Haha! I guess we Poms are a bit squeamish when it comes to golf-ball sized spiders! I'm sure your daughter would sympathise.