Thursday, July 05, 2007

It's official...

Last night I spoke to a local councillor about the theft of the Crucifix from the Church and the frustration of the police response, or rather lack of it. She gave me the email address of the local sergeant and so this morning I sent him a message to say that I was intending to publish the photograph of the thief in the parish newsletter where it would be seen by various judges, magistrates, politicians as well as the head of the Civil Service - who sits beside the PM each day.
Hey presto! Within an hour two 'community support' officers were sniffing round the Church. They are not police, of course, I think I'm right in saying that they can't even arrest anyone, but at least they were able to look at the photograph and confirm that the villain is wanted for questioning.
But... they couldn't take the photograph it couldn't be proved that I had his permission to snap it. Fortunately they didn't spot that we don't have a no-smoking sign outside the Church - otherwise they might have summoned half a dozen squad cars to take me in!

No comments: