Saturday, June 16, 2007

Facebook

Dipping my toe into Facebook has been an interesting experience. I'm already catching up with people who've attended various talks I've given on vocations. It's good to hear from some of them that they've followed up their sense of call and contacted vocations directors or attended vocations retreats.
When I first mentioned Facebook here I mentioned my concern that it appeared to mark a new stage in the de-personalisation of relationships. In reply the following has been posted on my 'wall':
A sobering thought, nevertheless facebook must be judged on its own merits. A thing that lets you check the pulse without touching the body is great thing.
Actually I concede that Facebook is an excellent way to stay in touch with friends and make contact people with similar interests. It is interesting to see who's joined the Vocations Group. However, my qualm remains. At some point we have to touch the body to check the pulse - if only to make sure that the machine is working. Facebook won't replace our Vocations events!

2 comments:

Felix Randal said...

Indeed, and neither should it! I don't think Facebook is a good 'site' for evangelisation proper, but it is a very good tool nevertheless - here at Cambridge, all the Catholic events will be advertised (primarily?) via Facebook. It has helped us reach new people: we had a load of new faces at Nicholas Lash's excellent lecture on the God Delusion.

Fr Julian Green said...

Nicholas Lash? Excellent? Gosh!