Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Looking forward to life without Windows

I've not posted for nearly a week now for a simple reason. The Secretary's computer got infected with a virus - or possibly the operating system (Windows XP) got corrupted. Result? Pandemonium! Two trips to PC World late we thought we would be able to enjoy peace of mind thanks to the "Total Protection" offered by McAfee. Instead we've had hours of grief and intermittent internet access. Things only began to return to normal this afternoon.
I'm certainly looking forward to getting my new office up and running. It will be a Windows-free zone! I wonder what my readers think about the great PC/Mac debate? Feel free to comment.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got so fed up with our apple mac that i nearly threw it out the office window. Long live Windows XP. Fr James

Fr Stephen said...

I'm afraid Windows XP is on the way out. You have Vista to look forward to. You know of course that an experiment was done which involved throwing both an Apple & a PC out of a window to see which would fare best. I think you'll find the Apple won :o)

Anonymous said...

This is not simply a MAC/Windows debate. There is always linux and Free BSD.

The future is probably linux and the whole of the internet for example is run on "unix" machines (linux IS unix but for intel machines i.e. ordinary PCs). The google web engine for example is run on huge linux farms of intel servers.

My advice is go for linux.

Anonymous said...

Nothing to do with this posting Father just wondering when St Augustine might make a comeback to your blog ?

Anonymous said...

Buy a mac - faster & no viruses.

Then download Boot Camp for free off the apple site and you can run windows inside mac software.

Best of both for price of one!

John Weidner said...

I've been using Macs since 1985, and I've never encountered any kind of malware, and never used any anti-virus software.

And my constant experience has been that my Macs are cheaper than my friends' PC's.....when you count the cost of your time; time spent dealing with problems...