Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Holy Week Retreat

I'm getting lots of very kind feedback from the Holy Week Retreat being broadcast this week by EWTN. In Britain some people have mentioned that they have switched on at the published time only in order to find a French or German programme. If you are finding a sudden increase in foreign language programmes it is probably because your receiver needs to be re-tuned to another Satellite: Hotbird is going to transmit more and more in French and German while Eurobird offers the English programmes.
Another difficulty is that there has been a timetable change. No one has said anything about the 2.00am slot, but the 2.00pm broadcast now comes on at 3pm, and the 8pm broadcast is now on at 10pm. The themes so far have been: Conversion, Ascetical Struggle & the Malice of Sin. Tomorrow (Maundy Thursday) I speak about the Holy Mass and following Christ's call (vocation).


I must say I am pleased with some lovely shots of the Church and our wonderful congregation. The Stations of the Cross come out really well and I'm thinking that it would be worth getting a professional to photograph them. It is strange seeing oneself on television - I usually preach without note and am much more relaxed. For these meditations I stick quite closely to the notes and, conscious of the need to be understood, I speak too slowly. Nevertheless I think there's plenty of doctrinal and spiritual content which is the important thing. I pray that they will be of benefit and that at least one person might be encouraged to take a further step towards the priesthood.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I JUST WANT TO SAY THANK YOU FOR THE HOLY WEEK THAT YOU GAVE.
I WATCHED YOU ON EWTN EVERY DAY DURING THIS HOLY WEEK. YOU ARE WONDERFUL! I REALLY NEEDED TO HEAR EVERYTHING THAT YOU HAVE SAID DURING THIS WHOLE WEEK. YOU HAVE TRULY BEEN AN INSPIRATION AND I THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART !

I WISH YOU A MOST GRACE FILLED HOLY WEEK A MOST BLESSED EASTER SEASON !
THANKS AGAIN !

John Browne said...

Since I've been home for the holidays, I've been finding very many German programmes on EWTN. I was very confused. Thanks for enlightening me!

Fr Stephen said...

Anonymous
Many thanks for your kind words. Please pray that it may bear fruit in vocations. Thank you.