Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Hope in the Heart of Soho


This afternoon I was in Soho Square to give a couple of classes on ethics for the St Patrick's Evangelisation School. SPES is Latin for hope and the school, together with the other activities promoted by Fr Alexander Sherbrooke, the indefatigable parish priest of St Patrick's, certainly represents a beacon of hope in the midst of cultural and moral desolation.

I had been asked to give an introduction to the Ten Commandments. My first talk sought to highlight, and demonstrate the importance of, Pope John Paul's encyclical Veritatis Splendor. In the second talk I gave some basic Catholic moral principles: absolute moral norms, natural law, the difference between subjective culpability and objective moral disorder, the distinction between mortal and venial sin, and the role of conscience.

There is a great group of students at the school and it is a very good experience for anyone considering a gap year or simply just wanting to give a year to God.

2 comments:

John Browne said...

Interesting post. I considered going there myself a few years ago.

Fr Stephen said...

You could certainly do worse John! I think they're recruiting for next year.