Saturday, December 23, 2006

Preparing for Christmas


In the parish we are in the final phase of our Christmas preparations. Tomorrow we have our usual Sunday morning Masses plus a baptism. Then the Church will be closed while the flowers are arranged in time for the Vigil Mass at 6.00pm and Midnight Mass at - well I'll let you figure that one out!

I've already worked out my sermon so, apart from tweaking it a bit, I don't have that to worry about. To be honest Christmas should go well. The Servers did well at their practice today, the Choir has spent a lot of time preparing the Music. Things are always done 'by the book' in this parish which is probably why we are so popular.

In many ways my mind is already looking beyond Christmas day itself. On the Feast of St John we have a special day with the Archbishop for our seminarians and those that bit closer to applying. He will celebrate Holy Mass here at 10.00am and then we will have a bit of a get-together. There will be a bit of a festal lunch followed by the chance of a film in the afternoon.

The following day the advance party arrives for the New Year Retreat. It's more complicated for us this year as we (probably foolishly) offered to do the catering. On the other hand in this parish we are blessed with Maxine, a wonderful woman for whom nothing is too difficult. Do say a prayer for her and for her children - I know she would apreciate that.

In the meantime I will keep you all in my prayers.

4 comments:

Fulgencio Espa said...

Happy Christmas, Father. I pray for you and for all you parishoners, and I hope this year will be full of spiritual fruits, specially the priesthood vocations.
Now I'm going to pray a 'responso' for the Antonio's grandfather, who has just dead. Please, pray for him and his family...

Fr Stephen said...

Hi Ful
Thanks for the Christmas greeting. I know you are doing great work promoting vocations in your parish and I pray for you too. I will remember Antonio's grandfather at Mass. Please send him my condolences.

Fr Richard Aladics said...

Fr Stephen, don't say that you foolishly offered the the parish's catering staff for the New Year Retreat. Your parish is a beacon for young people at New Year (and perhaps other times also). Getting people together to eat is one of the major building bricks of evangelisation! Catering paves a royal road for the Church (and your parish). I look forward to seeing you all at the New Year Prayer Festival.

Fr Stephen said...

Thanks for the encouragement Fr Richard. It's precisely because of the importance of the meal times that I am worried. We don't know whether there will be three hundred or five hundred people needing to be fed & it's the New Year weekend.
Deus providebit...