Sunday, October 01, 2006

Who am I? (Part 1 - the '50s)

I was born in the '50s.
I wasn't baptised. My father was probably against it. He probably thought that was a step I would have to take for myself when I was old enough to make up my own mind. My dad was the only one in our family who didn't go to church. My mother did her best to give us some Christian doctrine but this would always lead to problems with my dad.
At school I was a brilliant student :o) The trouble was that what I learnt there went against all the advice I was getting from my mum. Bit by bit I was going off the rails, and the more I left God behind the more I would hear my friends praising me.
Despite that, when I was a child I was enchanted by the idea of truth and would think a lot about things. I had a good memory and a quick mind. I wasn't going to let anyone deceive me. And that's the approach I took to my education: bit by bit I was going to discover the truth.

No comments: