Sunday, July 30, 2006

De Gustibus...

Since taking over as Co-ordinator of Vocations Promotion for the Archdiocese I've been keen to use good quality images in any written material we produce. Of course it is true that posters don't create vocations but a vocations poster at the back of the Church might just keep putting the call before a young man who would rather keep it out of his mind! The material we produce should be of a high standard because we are competing in a visual world. We could also apply the 'pay peanuts get monkeys' principle: shoddy posters say a lot about how much we value the priesthood.
Of course there is no image that will appeal to everyone. I prefer to take an honest approach: if we are promoting priesthood let's use images of clearly identifiable priests. With due respect to anyone who may think differently, to my mind the worst vocations poster I ever saw was the one which said: "Godisnowhere". How's that for a mixed message!
Our current poster features the photo on this post. I hesitated a long time before producing it, and generally most priests find it slightly uncomfortable. Although not posed, the photo is reminiscent of the advertising for Reservoir Dogs, and the text that goes along with it makes reference to two other films: Men in Black and Blues Brothers. Although not necessarily a great success among my brother priests, it has proved really popular in chaplaincies and schools and with young people in general. Which just goes to show...

4 comments:

Kurt said...

Well I like it. There's a fine line between cool and tacky but I think the poster is easily on the right side.

The Archdiocese of Indianapolis recently had a poster campaign reminiscent of publicity for the Matrix. I was less keen on those posters although they were very slick.

Looking beyond the "gimmick" factor of the picture, I like the way that the Southwark poster clearly emphasises Christ's call.

Fr Stephen said...

Thanks for that Kurt. I wonder what other people think?

Fr Tim Finigan said...

Great you finally decided to go for it. I'm sure you will get some flak from other priests but what the heck! It's a great poster :-)

Br Lawrence, O.P. said...

Absolutely wonderful. I love it! And is that Fr Matthew Habron I see in the back?