Sunday, July 30, 2006

AIDS, Condoms and Africa

The average age of one of my Mass-going parishioners is 26. Not surprisingly I find myself often having to defend the Church's teaching on contraception. I've noticed over a number of years that whenever I gave a talk on contraception the first question would always be, "What about AIDS in Africa". It can be such a burning issue in some people's minds that they don't really listen to the talk, so much so that I now begin talks on contraception by exploding some myths about condoms and AIDS prevention. In this I've made ample use of the information provided by Fr Tim Finigan on the 'Controversies' page of his parish website. Today I notice on his Blog that he has a link to an article in the online version of Crisis Magazine. It's well worth reading.

No comments: