Friday, June 23, 2006

St Raphael's

Last night I had a very enjoyable meal at St Raphael's parish, Surbiton. The ever cheerful parish priest, Fr Vincent Flynn, wanted to introduce me to a young man from his parish who is considering a priestly vocation. The young man concerned has just completed his first year at university where he takes an active part in the life of the Chaplaincy. We chatted about various things including the difference between a vocation to diocesan priesthood and that of the religious life. Later we were treated to a wonderful meal in the presbytery.
Incidentally, Fr Vincent was to leave this morning for Scotland where he is to take part in the Three Peaks Challenge: Ben Nevis, Scarfell Pike and Snowdon within a fixed period of time.
I am grateful to priests like Fr Vincent who actively seek to encourage priestly vocations among their parishioners.

1 comment:

Kurt said...

It's a beautiful church, isn't it?

Not long ago, just after he had preached about vocations, Father Vincent asked me when I would be applying. I don't remember discussing my thoughts about my vocation with him before that Sunday. I'm glad that he was bold enough to ask and encourage me!

Congratulations on the new blog!