Thursday, June 29, 2006

Southwark Seekers

There have been two new enquiries about priesthood so far this week. The first was from someone I first met about twenty years ago when I was myself still a seminarian. Since then he has studied and spent some time discerning his vocation with a religious community. We were able to meet on Saturday. The second came yesterday evening when I received an email from a young man someone mentioned to me a little while ago. I look forward to meeting him as soon as possible.
In this diocese we have a group which we call the "Seekers". Essentially Seekers are men considering a vocation to the priesthood who come along to our regular vocations events such as our monthly Seekers' Meetings. I saw recenlty that one diocese in the States has a similar group but uses the term VIPs (Vocations in Progress) - now why didn't I think of that?!
More good news this week with one of our Seekers contacting me to say that he now feels ready to apply. Let's keep him in our prayers. And with seven of our Seekers starting seminary this year, let's ask the Lord of the Harvest to send us seven more to take their places. (I'll tell you what, why don't we make that a dozen?).

No comments: